Property Locality: Darwin City
Type of Property: self-contained villas
Number of Bedrooms: two in each of five villas
Number of Bathrooms: two in each
Maximum Persons: 4-5
Children: children welcome
Price range: from $249 per night depending on season and number of guests.
Weekly: between $1999 and $4893 per week.
Couple rate: One couple welcome at couple rate, using their choice of two king size bedrooms
Special Conditions:Minimum stays are three nights.
Children: cots, high chairs and stair barriers free of charge.
Rates are flexible so please email Moonshadow if for some reason you cannot stay for long, or if you wish to stay longer.
Incentives are offered for corporate and longer term guests.
Moonshadow Villas private estate offers a variety of two level private garden and pool villas. Exotic and unique, the award winning rainforest villas provide 5 star Darwin accommodation in a tranquil, tropical bird and orchid filled paradise only minutes from the very centre of Darwin city.
Each garden villa provides self contained accommodation and offer private and individual indoor and outdoor retreats. The villas are luxuriously self contained and beautifully furnished with fully equipped kitchens, an audiovisual system with CD player, DVD, video and television. Fast wireless internet is provided. All villas enjoy direct access to the beautiful sandstone waterfall pools and are gated if required. The beach, golf course, Darwin's restaurants and the buzzy Mindil Beach Markets are an easy walk away.
Your villa includes complimentary breakfast starters such as assorted crisp cereals, Beerenburg jams, fresh grain bread and freshly baked fruit bread, butter, sugar, milk and a selection of teas (including herbal) and coffee. The Nespresso Coffee Pod Machine is provided with assorted pods.
Complimentary chilled bottle of good Champagne and some icy cold beer also included.
Runway Bride (elopement packages for up to 10 people)
Dreamtime Tropical Honeymoon
- Solar panels are used to heat water with boosting less than 5%
- Ample low voltage lighting has been installed.
- Care has been taken so that all windows and openings are positioned and protected to provide optimum shade to prevent overheating in the tropics and to facilitate the flow of the cooling breezes although full air-conditioning is provided.
· Stainless steel fans are provided in all living areas of the villas. The use of the fans in the cooler environment provided by the palm canopy encourage people to enjoy the balmy weather minimizing use of air-conditioning.
- Being a small complex, laundry for the villas is dried in the sunshine whenever possible to reduce the use of high energy dryers. No sheets are dried mechanically.
- Rainwater tanks are provided in all villas.
- Water to the kitchens has a separate rainwater tap for cooking and drinking and a tap for town water supplies.
- Each villa also has a rainwater shower.
- There is a grey-water system installed
- All chemical containers are re-used and recycling bins are provided to separate plastics, bottles, paper and cardboard.
- the property tries to reduce, re-use and recycle wherever possible.
· ‘Green’ carry bags are provided for guests so that they can shop without the plastic bags.
- All cleaning products are bio-degradable.
- Old fashioned remedies of salt, lemon, bicarbonate and vinegar are used to treat stains and used in general cleaning.
- There is an emphasis on using Clove Oil to combat the results of shade and moisture and keep surfaces free from algae. Using clove oil and water is much kinder than bleach and does not kill the earth worms and small creatures that live in the soil. Lemon oil is dispersed in water to re-locate (not kill) any spiders who want to also make Moonshadow home. This encourages them to leave the habitats alone, making their homes in the jungle or surrounds, quite happily sharing with people at a distance.
- Toiletries provided are organically based coconut products to minimize toxic product into waterways. 500ml size organic shampoos and conditioners are used and organic full size bars of sandalwood or coconut soap are wrapped in paper. This saves disposal problems and cuts the volume of waste from small plastic containers that need to replenished on a daily or twice daily basis
· Soap that is left over from a stay is recycled and used to give fragrance to cupboards and to help prevent insects and vermin from being tempted to occupy.
The vision of Moonshadow Villas was to develop a sustainable environmentally friendly multi-residence complex and show commercial compatibility with green strategies.
- The winner of the “Tracy Award for Architecture”, “ The Burnett Award for Tropical Architecture” and “People’s Choice” in 2005 (a rare trifecta) the project is still being used at Sydney University as an example of sustainable and relevant architecture for tropical buildings. This is a core subject in the course. The Burnett Award is based on architecture that is congruent with the environment and is outstanding for its attention to sustainability
- Moonshadow also won the Prestigious Construction Award for Excellence in Building and for Environmentally sound building.
A massive planting of appropriate and botanical specimens and palms during the late 80’s and early 90’s consolidated and repaired natural attrition and man-made damage from adjourning R2 medium density complexes whose developers used the normal ‘scorched earth’ policy of removing all or the majority of existing plants in order to expedite trades and builders convenience. The emphasis on our rainforest and gardens and constant maintenance and observation of pest or environmental hazard controls risk of losing a unique pocket of established rainforest so close to the city centre.
Host: Moya Buckley
Address: 6 Gardens Hill Crescent, Darwin NT 0820
environmentally friendly accommodation, ecotourism, green travel