Forest Walks Lodge
Property Locality: Jackeys March Valley, near Deloraine, Northern Tasmania
Type of Property: lodge
Number of bedrooms: 3 spacious bedrooms plus family room
Maximum Persons: Please enquire as accommodation is flexible
Children: suitable for children
Disabled Facilities available
Price Range: from $121 to $165 per night - see below for details
Guided Walks: see below
Forest Walks Lodge is a new architect designed, solar passive house, built with your comfort in mind. All meals are offered in house using local and organic ingredients where possible. Guest may relax on their private patio, view stunning sunsets over the mountains and experience the night sky with its multitude of stars. Dine in with meals created in house from fresh organic and local ingredients. All dietary requirements are catered for there is a selection of fine Tasmanian and other wines to serve with meals. Tea, coffee and snacks are available all day in the dining room.
The Lodge has three spacious bedrooms, one with disabled facilities. All rooms have magnificent views onto the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area. Flexible interior design allows for one room to become a family room with the addition of some extra beds.
To maximise the benefits of relaxing in such a peaceful environment, a two day visit is recommended to provide you with the best opportunity to acquaint yourself with the local wildlife and to enable visitors to explore the surrounding environment and other activities the valley has to offer.
A range of guided walks are offered to suit different interest levels and physical abilities. These depart daily on request unless otherwise specified. See www.forestwalks.com.au for more information. There are also many more great walking destinations within close proximity. Cycling, fly-fishing or canoeing on Lake Meander are also potential activities.
Forest Walks Lodge is a solar passive architect designed house, thermally efficient, with its own in-built electricity, clean water, heating and waste water systems. As far as possible it is built with sustainable materials. Decisions between materials durability, miles traveled, thermal efficiency, toxicity, carbon produced in production, sustainable management in the choice of timbers, time and cost, provided for many challenging decisions. Built with standard building materials, electricity is generated on site and heating is derived from the surrounding environment, including the sun. Water of the highest quality is sourced from a spring-fed creek within the property boundary.
Hosts: Sean Cadman and Rosemary Norwood
Address: 669 Jackeys Marsh Rd
Jackeys Marsh Tasmania 7304
PO Box 212
Deloraine Tasmania 7304
Rates are per night and include breakfast- min stay 2 nights
Deluxe Room: $165
Queen Room: $132 for 2 persons
Twin Room: $132 2 for persons , $121 for 1 person
Family Room: $165 per night plus $12 for each extra person/child
Special Packages - Tariffs
2 night package guided walks and accommodation
$600 for 2 people, $400 for 1 person
3 night package guided walks and accommodation
$800 for 2 people, $550 for 1 person
Dinner: $30-$35 per person, wine extra
Rates are inclusive of GST and are subject to change without notice.
3 DAY GUIDED WALK AND ACCOMMODATION PACKAGE
- Arrive at Forest Walks Lodge in the afternoon. Make yourself comfortable with a cup of tea. Walk around the property – check out the local bird life, take one and a half hour rainforest walk and/or view environmental art works.
- Dinner 6.30 – 8.30pm. Our chef will discuss the menu with you and include your preferences in the meal. Wine and other drinks are available for purchase with your meal.
- Breakfast between 7.30 and 9am. Continental breakfast spread usually with one hot dish, cereal, fresh fruit and organic yoghurt, wholemeal breads, meat, fish, cheese and spreads.
- Wild Forest Walk 10 am. Interpretation of the evolutionary history of Tasmania’s forests. This is a moderate grade walk of approximately 4 hours duration with a qualified guide. The pace of the walk depends on the fitness of the group. Lunch will be provided at a convenient time on the track.
- Return to the Lodge about 2.30pm and relax for the afternoon, read some of the informative books in the library on Tasmania’s fauna and flora and take a stroll along the creek in the late afternoon to enjoy the birdlife, and check for trout, eels and other fish in the stream.
- Dinner as for the previous evening.
- Breakfast as for the previous morning.
- Self Guided Walk/Cycle. There are many additional walks, both within walking and/or cycling distance in the valley of Jackeys Marsh, and within a short drive from the lodge along the Great Western Tiers. We can provide you with a picnic lunch. Ask us about booking a Wild Cave Tour for you with speliologist Debbie Hunter.
- Art and Craft. If art and craft is you thing we can arrange for a visit to some of the galleries, both public and private within the Deloraine district, before returning for a relaxing bath and an evening on the edge of the forests of Quamby Bluff.
- Gourmet dinner
Breakfast and Departure
environmentally friendly accommodation, ecotourism, green travel