Daintree Wilderness Lodge
Property Locality: Daintree, Tropical North Qld
Type of Property: cabins
Children: not suitable for children under eleven years
Rates (per couple per night)
Price Range: $220-$280
Honeymoon Cabins: $280
Rainforest Cabins: $260
Special Conditions: Rates are inclusive of GST and are subject to change without notice
Nestled deep within World Heritage Listed Rainforest, Daintree Wilderness Lodge offers guests the true rainforest experience and is unique to the various Daintree Accommodation options in the area. Guests are able to escape into a world far removed from their own and enjoy the diversity and unique adaptations of the rainforest.
Located just 14km north of the Daintree River and 30 minutes from Cape Tribulation, Daintree Wilderness Lodge is centrally located to Great Barrier Reef Cruises, Rainforest Walks and Cruises on the Daintree River.
The Lodge offers guests a complete escape with all necessary facilities available on-site, allowing you to relax and enjoy your holiday. Facilities include an outdoor pool, fully licensed bar and restaurant and personal services such as free internet useage and laundry service.
There are only 7 cabins and the lodge could be described as having a "bed and breakfast feel" with added on-site facilities often not available in smaller Daintree accommodation venues. Daintree Wilderness Lodge has been awarded the Advanced Eco Certification Certificate, which illustrates their commitment to maintaining an Eco Friendly Resort.
Where possible considerable effort has been taken to reduce our impact on the environment, including waste, pollution and noise pollution, making us a certified eco lodge. Steps were taken from the beginning of building the lodge to preserve the rainforest which makes us a highly regarded Eco accommodation example within the area of the Daintree National Park.
Design and Construction
- The design and construction of the lodge were taken on by Anna Graham and her late husband Mal. As quoted by Anna: "We simply did what felt right in our hearts. Such a low-impact project had not been attempted within the entire World Heritage Listed area before."
- Many trees were simply built around with some original trees and vines now growing through the floors and roofs. Only two trees were removed during the entire project.
- Clearing was done by hand (crow bar and shovel). No machinery at all was used.
- No rainforest timber was used. Cyprus pine was used.
- All services were placed above ground to prevent any disturbance to the forest floor.
- The area located north of the Daintree River has no access to electricity or mains power. The entire region therefore runs on generated power. Daintree Wilderness Lodge is the only resort that runs on a combination of power sources, namely generated and battery power. This allows visitors to enjoy a peaceful night's sleep without the incessant hum in the background and reduces our carbon emission into the atmosphere.
- We use low-voltage and long-life globes and conserve energy in keeping with our Eco Accredition.
- The Water Waste system works with bacteria that break down disposal from the showers, toilets and sinks and has been working effectively for over 12 years.
- Guests should be conscious of not using any harsh chemicals during their stay. These include laundry detergents and strong bleaches or hair dyes.
- Our cleaning products are therefore all non-toxic, biodegradable and free of petrochemicals and phosphates.
- Spring water, which is accessed via a bore, supplies the entire resort with fresh water. It is completely safe to drink and is tested regularly. No chlorine is found in the water which makes it healthier to drink and reduces environmental factors overall. It has a fantastic sweet taste to it.
- Conscious Conservation and Habitat Management Programme:
We encourage the natural feeding patterns of all animals and do not believe in distroying any, even if they are sometimes frowned upon by guests. (Rats and mosquitoes). All animals are important in the cycle of life within the rainforest and each plays its part in creating it. We don't allow pets or non-native plants for this reason.
- Daintree Wilderness Lodge seeks to protect all environments but is especially committed to the Rainforest as it is so scarce in Australia and throughout the world. The wet tropics contain an almost complete record of the major stages in the evolution of plant life on earth. We have therefore selected the Rescue Rainforest Foundation to receive our main contributions. We also support various charities within the local community and WWF along with Greenpeace to to help the environment in its entirety.
Host: Melissa and Paul
Address: Daintree Wilderness Lodge
83 Cape Tribulation Road
Alexandra Bay 4873
environmentally friendly accommodation, ecotourism, green travel