Both Feet Walking Lodge
Property Locality: Great Ocean Road
Type of Property: Walking Lodge
Number of Bedrooms: 5
Number of Bathrooms: 5
Maximum Persons: 10
Children: suitable for children
Rates (per couple per night)
Price Range: starts from A$1495.00 pp twin or single including transfers from Melbourne, all meals and daily guided walks.
Single travelers have a single room with share access to the bathroom, no single supplement.
Special Conditions: Staying at bothfeet Walking Lodge is part of the bothfeet walking itinerary.
Rates are inclusive of GST and are subject to change without notice.
Set back just over one kilometre from the coast in 10 acres of rainforest, the lodge accommodates up to 20 people in ten bedrooms with en-suites. For those travelling solo, bedrooms can be divided into two separate rooms by a clever partitioning system.
The Lodge features a spring-fed swimming pool formed from natural rocks, a foot spa and massage room, and a full restaurant kitchen where the delicious bothfeet lunches and snacks are produced. In the evening, a local chef creates modern Australian culinary delights, accompanied by the finest Victorian wines.
The first phase of the development was completed in September 2008, when five double rooms with ensuites, a dining hall, commercial kitchen and reception office opened to accommodate guests. By September 2009, the Lodge will be completed with five additional bedrooms, a swimming pool and an expanded dining space.
Please note that to stay at the Lodge, gust must join one of the scheduled Great Ocean Walk departures or may inquire about a private or custom journey.
Stage One of the Lodge opened in December 2008 and currently features 5 king bedrooms with ensuites. Each can be converted to two single rooms with share access to a bathroom between two people.
Licensed dining room with chef prepared meals
2 dedicated massage treatment rooms
5 foot spas wtih aromatherapy soaps and oils
Gear storage area
Dedicated gear drying room.
Set in a natural rainforest amphitheatre, the architecturally designed purpose built haven has been developed to the strictest of sustainable principles. The Both Feet Walking Tours were already awarded Advanced Eco-Certified by Eco Tourism Australia as a tour operator, so the lodge had to match this commitment to sustainable operation.
The Lodge has been purpose-designed using a state of the art lightweight modular system, EcoShelta, which ensures all materials are sourced sustainably. Taking advantage of the best technologies available, the features of bothfeet walking lodge include:
- passive solar design,
- active matrix photovoltaic power supply
- solar hot water
- solar hydronic heating
- best practice grey and black water recycling facilities.
- the prefabricated construction methods minimize the impact on the site and the natural environment, and the structures are “semi permanent”, meaning they could be dismantled and the site regenerated to its original form, if required.
Along the Great Ocean Walk, bothfeet offers three, four and six-day walking programmes with stunning coastal landscapes, secluded beaches and memorable rock formations. The shorter walks take participants to Cape Otway, Apollo Bay and the Twelve Apostles, covering distances of around 15 kilometres per day. The six-day walk covers the entire 91 kilometre trail with some more challenging sections, and the daily average is 17-20 kilometres per day.
Priced from $1395 (for the three-day walk), there are departures three times per week.
A Typical Walking Day
Each trip is different and any alterations to a published itinerary are made in conjunction with the walkers, taking into consideration the weather, the fitness of the group and personal preferences.
- around 7.00am we give a gentle knock on your door to plant the seed of getting up (that is, unless you're already up or have let us know the night before that you don't intend to walk).
- between 7.00am and 8.00am, enjoy breakfast and a briefing of the day ahead.
- between 8.00am and 8.30am we set off for the day. Usually there's a short vehicle transfer to the place we start our walking.
- between 8.30am and 9.30am set out on fresh tracks with the day ahead and the trails to ourselves. Most days your guides carry lunch for you and there's no appointments along the way. So, there's no reason to hurry and no where particular you have to be. Want to walk further each day? There's ways to cater for you. Want to hang back a bit and take photos of the flora? No problem. Chat to your guide and they will show you some vantage points. On average we walk between 12 and 15km per day and our emphasis is on discovery, not speed.
All bothfeet guides carry satellite phones and are in touch with the support vehicle throughout the day.Around 4.00pm miraculously (or not!) your driver knows just just where to meet you, whisking you back to the guest house in time for a hot shower, a massage (one included per walk), pre dinner drink and a delicious 3 course meal.
- Custom Journeys can also be arranged.
When you take over a whole group or book a private journey the day is entirely in your hands. Want to take home photos of the sunrise? Sure thing. Want to sleep in and start later? OK. Want to know more? Contact us via the email enquiry button!
Hosts: Dana and Gavin Ronan
Address: Great Ocean Road, Victoria
Book direct with owners through the ENQUIRE NOW button!
environmentally friendly accommodation, ecotourism, green travel